Computing at SP (IT Committee)
IT Chair: James Koppel
What we do: maintain and support the computing resources in Sidney-Pacific. Help residents and the House Government use these resources.
Q: I want to print to the S-P black-and-white printers.
A: See the page on the MIT Knowledge Base.
Q: How do I use the S-P scanner, and where is it?..
A: See the Scanning Guide.
Matters not handled by the IT chair
Q: I want to connect my computer to the MIT network.
A: Please see this page on the MIT KB.
Q: I am having trouble with the network connection in my room.
A: Please file a problem report with the RCCs at rcc.mit.edu.
If you have a little technical knowledge, you may be able to help them respond more efficiently by running some diagnostics.
Q: I need help with a specific computing problem on my computer.
A: Please see the MIT helpdesk at web.mit.edu/ist/helpdesk.
Q: I want to know more about MIT computing resources outside S-P.
A: Please see web.mit.edu/is, and our S-P orientation guide.
Got more detailed questions? Please refer to the documents listed at the bottom of the page.
Overview of S-P computing
In addition to the wide range of computing facilities available on the MIT Campus (see the excellent Orientation Guide), Sidney-Pacific offers some of its own! Here is a quick list:
You have access to an astonishing mix of workstations in the Resource Center (room NW86-158):
- 1 x iMac, running OS X. These machines feature DVD-burners. Software installed includes Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, and other Adobe CS software.
- 6 x Dell Optiplex, runnning DebAthena. Some of these machines feature DVD-burners.
- 6 x Dell Optiplex, running Windows 7. Software installed includes Microsoft Office, Secure FX/CRT, and more
- 1 x Dell Dimension, running Windows XP. Software installed includes Microsoft Office, Secure FX/CRT, and more
All machines that do not have DVD-burners are equipped with CD-writers. You can find more about software running on Linux and Sun Athena at web.mit.edu/acs/www/whereruns.html.
Printing, Scanning, and Copying
The Resource Center features the following printing and scanning resources:
- 2 x HP LaserJet 9050dn black-and-white printers (printing guide).
- 1 x HP LaserJet 400 Color M451dw. Only House Government members may print to it. (Warning: this printer is expensive; see the printing guide before printing.)
- 1 x HP large scanner (scanner guide).
- 1 x Konika copy machine. Machine accepts US coins and bills.
If after reading through these documents, and the FAQ, you still have questions, or if you would like to offer your suggestions, do not hesitate to email the IT chair at email@example.com.
For more information, please email sp-it-chair (at mit.edu)
Return to Committee Pages List